The Hobbit trilogy is not Richard’s first foray into the blockbuster sci fi/fantasy genre. Back in 1999, he appeared in a miniscule role in the first film of the prequel trilogy to the Star Wars franchise, Star Wars: Episode I-The Phantom Menace. In fact, Richard himself has said he has a hard time finding Richard Armitage in the final film! He played a Naboo fighter pilot and apparently donned costumes for one or two other characters, but he thinks they ended up on the cutting room floor. The above photo has appeared at more than one site and, judging by those eyes, I’d say there is a good chance this is RA in a scene with Natalie Portman.
Richard also ended up on Star Wars trading cards. Here’s the photo that appeared on the back of some of them:
I think he was still lovin’ the hair gel back then. Just teasin,’ Rich. You look handsome. But not as handsome as you do now.
And I have to say you’ve come a long way, baby!
- Richard Armitage Talks THE HOBBIT, Transforming into the Dwarf Leader, Thorin, and Filming Additional Footage for the Sequels (collider.com)
- Watching The Hobbit A Second Time (thecarton.net)
- Review: The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey (superiorrealities.wordpress.com)
- Richard Armitage, Andy Serkis talk 3rd “Hobbit” film (panarmenian.net)
- ‘The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey’ Does What the ‘Star Wars’ Prequels Failed to Do (hollywood.com)
- The Hobbit: Film Review (xingu2.wordpress.com)